Yes, I totally used a stock photo for this because we devoured the mac n cheese about 30 minutes after filming it, and it didn’t look pretty anymore! 😀 Fake it til ya make it, lol!
What else did you think was going to be my first recipe as a vegan??
Okay, there were those chocolate peanut butter bars, but mac n cheese was definitely next on my “must try” list. I’ve got a whole bunch of vegan recipes that I want to try! If you have any, please let me know in the comments & I’ll test them out for you! I need ideas people!
Alright, I know you guys are wondering exactly what I thought about this mac n “cheese,” and I’m going to be honest with you:
It’s definitely not the same. Duh, I know, but still. However, it doesn’t taste bad. I actually liked it, but Adrian and my roommate thought it was too bland, so I added another 1/2 cup of veggie broth and a hefty tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, and that did the trick. Then, we had family over for Dinner & Dragons (Game of Thrones is back!), and the vegan mac n cheese was definitely a hit!
What I thought:
It’s not cheese, but it’s still good. To be honest, it’s more like noodles with a creamy vegetable sauce. And, I can totally get down with it because I’m eating carbs WITH a few servings of veggies. Veggies were definitely lacking in my day to day diet, ya’ll, so being vegan has helped that tremendously (because what else am I going to eat?).
The only thing I wish I had was a real food processor, or at the very least a better blender because the sauce wasn’t as creamy as I would have liked! Does anyone have any blender/food processor suggestions?
After making it (which was really easy), testing it (then adding more spice), and eating it, I am definitely going to make this vegan dish again. Because it is really good, and really good for you.
Keep scrolling for the tutorial, and the recipe underneath it!
- 10 ounces macaroni or shell noodles
- 2 cups peeled and diced yellow potatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth *
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes to soften
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon of Tapioca Flour
- 1 -2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning**
- Crackers for topping, or bread crumbs. You choose! 😀
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to blend. Tip: chop your veggies into smaller pieces to cook them faster!
- When veggies are tender (you can stick a fork through the carrots), drain and place them in your blender. Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth along with all of your seasonings, nutritional yeast, and Tapioca flour.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. When you stop to scrape down the sides, take this chance to taste your veggie sauce. Does it need more seasoning? Mine certainly did! I added more salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. But by far the best seasoning I added (which you don’t see) was Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a casserole dish and stir.
- Sprinkle with crackers/bread crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes
* After the mac n cheese was finished I added another 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and,
** 1 heaping tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice! I highly recommend adding this as well!