I truly, TRULY out did myself here. Like… I kind of have no words. This is the first dessert type of thing that doesn’t include any form of chocolate, and it’s hands down my new favorite. Yes, I have hit my head recently. But, I swear that has nothing to do with why I think these are better than any chocolate thing I could put into my mouth right now. The crazy thing is, I did not follow a recipe at all. This is 100% my own; I just taste tested as I went, and uhm… I’ve blown myself away.
It kind of tastes like a pie. A sweet, delicious mini pie, and I’m all for it! This was ridiculously easy too, because I just went out and bought the pie crust instead of making my own. I was feeling lazy! I’m not mad about it! Please feel free to make your own pie crust, if you like. The one I used is perfect for making these little pastries!
Of course, since these are pie crusts, they started off as round. I just sliced off the round edges to make a sort-of square shape. Whatever, it totally works! Then I sliced 6 rectangles into both crusts and brushed the tops with egg white.
UGH YES. HOW did I manage to get the filling right the first time? I don’t know. Taste testing is definitely the biggest factor though! Also, this was REALLY easy to make.
Just seal the edges with a fork of course!
And brush the tops with the remaining egg whites.
I poked holes in the tops because that’s what my mom always did when she made pies, and it just made sense!
The egg whites give that perfect, glossy finish. I love it!
Hands down the best part is the frosting. Which should not be surprising! I used the same bowl that I used to make the filling, and I didn’t clean it. Once again, I taste tested it as I went until I found the perfect consistency. It was REALLY easy to make this, too.
And voila! Done. Easy as pie. Or pop tarts. Whatever (;
For the pop tarts
- 2 pie crusts (find these in the biscuit and cinnamon roll isle at your grocery store!)
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup of fresh blackberries
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon Agave Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Cream of Coconut (the same kind I used for the vegan caramel sauce)
- sprinkle of Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg white, beaten
For the frosting:
- Leftover blueberry and blackberry filling (from the bowl)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp of cream of coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon agave maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To make the filling, place the blueberries, blackberries, syrup and sprinkle of sugar in a food processor and blend. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie crust and either keep the round shape as is, or cut off the edges and then cut into 6 rectangles. Brush tops of all the rectangles with beaten egg white.
- On half of the rectangles, place heaping tablespoon of filling in the center. Top with remaining rectangles, egg white side down against the fruit filling, then close edges all the way around with a fork.
- Brush tops with beaten egg white. Poke a few holes on top of each pop-tart using the fork. (For neat-looking pastries, cut off any excess dough around edges).
- Carefully transfer pop-tarts to greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix together frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Remove pop-tarts, and let cool for 10 minutes, then spoon on that delicious frosting. And enjoy!