For those of you who have read/watched The Help, you know exactly what this title is referring to! It’s the famous Chocolate Pie that Minny makes… minus the you know what.
It’s a southern pie that is definitely a holiday tradition. This chocolate pie is rich, fudgey, and one of the most delicious recipes I have ever tasted. It’s not like a pudding pie, which is exactly what I like about it. Instead, it’s baked, but it still maintains the moist fudgey texture that makes it so memorable. It’s no wonder this pie was so famous in Minny’s hometown!
This pie lasted maybe 30 minutes the first time I set it down in the break room at work. The next time, word spread quickly and it was gone in 10! The preparation and assembly takes about 5 minutes, and then the pie itself cooks in 45 minutes. It’s easy to make, and utterly worth it!
As a true chocolate lover and southern belle, it’s only right that I share this recipe with you!
Chocoholics: You’re welcome!
I made this pie twice. Once with a homemade crust, which turned out to be too tall for the pie, and the second time with a regular frozen crust from the store. Either crust will work, just make sure it’s not deep dish!
- 1½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Large Eggs (beaten)
- ¾ Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Regular Pie Crust (frozen or homemade. You can find my pie crust recipe here!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, butter, eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla and salt on low to medium speed until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and sprinkle the chocolate chips through out. They may sink to the bottom during baking, and that’s ok! It only makes it fudgier!
- Bake for 45 minutes until the filling is set, but the center still jiggles. You can cover the crust with strips of foil halfway through baking to prevent over-browning.
- Let the pie cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and/or Blue Bell vanilla ice cream and enjoy!